Sunday, September 17, 2006

The Bay Street Film Festival.

Amy and I spent a good part of the day at the FF. When we weren't necesarily volunteering, we were there watching films.

2 moments that are crystalized memories for me at the moment:

The first happened in the early evening while I stood outside chatting with a woman of considerable age. She told me of her Finnish background, and told pointed up to a window of what used to be 'the little fin hall' as opposed to the 'big fin hall' of which we stood in its entryway. She told me that the small one used to be called the 'communist hall.' She went on to tell me in a sly and underbreath-toned manner, as though she were about to devulge some big secret to me, that we, in Canada, are still under the control of the communists. The fact of the matter is, she told me, that..."it's just so well hidden, that we don't even notice it anymore."

As she spoke I wondered to myself, if she was meaning 'capitalism'?

I'm still not sure what she meant, but she smiled at me and gave me a wink, as though she just let me in on some coveted knowledge. I'm in now. Maybe I will see her again and ask for clarification. Or maybe this is simply a sign.

The second moment of chrysalis was in the final film of the evening. The hall was nearly full to capacity, the film "Brocket 99." Even as Amy was selling tickets she had patrons, described as young male caucasian, intoxicated, folk - buying tockets in this manner, "One ticket and a whiskey" accompanied by, or delivered in a manner echoing the Brocket tapes in question in the film.

About 75% of the way through the film, an interview was being conducted by a young man, asking questions of his elders. One of the men was asked about the Brocket tapes and whether he felt that they were offensive, his response was (I'm now paraphrasing) "It's just life, if you can't enjoy life, go get an education."

Hmm. I wonder.

Anyways
http://www.shebafilms.com/baystreetfilmfestival/index.html

A

No comments: